Day 36 June 6 Monday Santiago

Day 36 June 6 Monday Santiago

Well the day had to come as we all know - the fun has to come to an end. I never thought I would say that after how painful my feet were in 2017. Because of that experience I was properly prepared for this full 800km Camino. 

The high- light of arriving into Santiago is attending the 12 noon pilgrim mass. The advice on my previous Camino was to position one’s self the night before close so one has a short walk into the city. That advise did not get put into our itinerary and thus we had a 20km stroll this morning. Don’t get me wrong 20 km is just a short day for us - 4 hr or so however when one factors in checking into a hotel and showering before church one has to set the alarm a little earlier.

I was on the trail by 6:45am - could have been earlier but it was pitch black and one doesn’t want to wreck the perfect record in not making a wrong turn on the last day.

At this early hour there were already pilgrims on the path.

The grades were reasonable and the path well marked - and as one got nearer to Santiago all one had to do is follow the flow. Where did they all come from? As for 35 days I never saw the numbers I saw this morning on the trail. Buses were letting their guests walk the last couple af kms - which by the way were all city sidewalks.

By 9 am I was passing the end of the Airport and by 10 am passing the site that was developed for the Popes visit back in the day. Five years ago we stayed at this location in an Albergue noting that the monument was showing its years of neglect - and since it has been totally removed. The pilgrim statues off in the far hill are still there - I have a great picture of these from 2017 and could not afford the 20 minute trek today and still arrive in time in Santiago- so I pressed on.

Arrived in Santiago at 11, checked in and showered/ changed so I might and others around me enjoy the pilgrims mass a little more. 

I arrived at the Cathedral at 11:45am and it was near capacity at this time. The big question on everyone’s mind - are they going to swing the Botafumeiro (incense burner) or not? This used to be done to mask the odour of the pilgrims as to fumigate the space - not for a divine ritual - possibly used similar today however back in the day pilgrims did not have our amenities we have on a daily bases. Well the answer is yes - this makes both of my visits having the Botafumeiro in action.

Following the service it was off to get our credentials. One gets the standard one acknowledging the completion and by laying a nominal charge of 3 Euro can get a second one that book marks your dates, starting point and kms. Fir an additional 2 Euro one gets a tube so these do not get crushed in the luggage.

Now with all the official work completed it was a leisurely walk about with no shortage of trinket shops and more importantly seeing other pilgrims we have had the great fortune to have met along the Camino. 

The weather held  albeit it was a heavy mist but never rained on the walk in for me. Earlier walkers had rain as they approached the city.

So I finished my Camino with only one rain day out of 36 days walking and that was only the last 3 hours as we walked into Sarria.I would suggest this would be some sort of a record for the Camino especially as one checks and May is a 50/50 rain / sun month 

It is time to say goodby - to many friends we have shared stories, experience and many meals with over these past weeks. Also to this exceptional experience of carving out this time from our normal lives realizing we have many to thank for carrying the load at home - at work (Trinity) etc.

I will board a plane tomorrow afternoon and join Heather who is with my son David , Rebecca & James in London and enjoy a week there prior to returning to NB

Thank you for traveling with me on the incredible journey and I hope you found some of it interesting. 

PIctures

1- a great mural early on this morning

2- a thoughtful message 

3- a single walker heading to Santiago- as I was behind him

4- monument marker where I left a Cdn flag this morning

5- Santiago sign as you enter town

6- view of the city in the horizon 

7- Cathedral

8- pilgrim Mass starting - cantor in the pulpit

9- Botafumeiro stationary 

10- Botafumeiro lit

12- Botafumeiro ready to swing 

13- Piper on the grounds busking

14- three friends we have walked with from the start - good by for now picture


This is my last post

It had been great

God bless you all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 34 June 4 Saturday Arzua

Day 32 June 2 Thursday Portomarin

Day 33 June 3 Friday Palas de Rei