Day 33 June 3 Friday Palas de Rei

Day 33 June 3 Friday Palas de Rei

Last evening I caught this rainbow over the towns name however it was for sure not the end of the mighty storm in this area 

We attended pilgrim Mass at the San Nicolas’ church last evening. It is simply amazing that this church was taken down - relocated to the top of the hill - and rebuilt stone by stone. Beautiful sanctuary- one gets to appreciate the simplistic after so many heavily brass and gold leaf works of art

Last evening there was much discussion within the pilgrims of considering a taxi if the mornings weather forecast held true. Not in my plans. I have walked every step thus far and another day of rain will be just that - another day

We awoke to a very heavy sky - however no rain. So I started out at 7:30am as any other day in my shorts and Tee wearing my sunglasses which some thought was too much however I like the light protection on the eyes even if the sun is not present.

My walking partner kept talking about the ant statues / which I had no memory of from my previous Camino. About 3 hrs into our walk we came upon a cafe and the three ants. Not sure what the artist had in mind however one suggestion given was we pilgrims are like a bunch of ants walking on the path.

We arrived in Palas de Rei at 1pm having chosen to have one 15 min break as to beat the possible rain should it happen. Happen it did - 2pm the heavens opened - I was checked in, showered and relaxing with a grande Radler watching all the pilgrims soaked through walking into town. Once again we beat the odds. Some of our Camino friends chose to stop for lunch and lived to regret that decision.

Our hotel which is more like a rustic motel - log style building with all natural pine finishing is just great- however the main building which housed the reception- the restaurant- and the bar was burnt to the ground on April 4th. They have temporary facilities in place and the accommodations were spared as they were in a separate building behind the main office structure. The owners and staff can’t do enough for us - so appreciative of the Camino traffic after two poor years.

We visited the beautiful church here in town this evening and I lit a candle for my friend.

Tomorrow, Saturday we will be heading at Arzua which will be our last long walk of 29km

We hope once again for fair weather as we near our end goal of Santiago on Monday 

June 6

Till tomorrow

Buen Camino

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 34 June 4 Saturday Arzua

Day 32 June 2 Thursday Portomarin